Chronicle of Events

User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 

chronic of eventsThe idol installed here at Guruvayur temple considered to be 5000 years old and lot of legends associated with it.

 

1030 - Sreekovil and Mandapam renovated.
1058 - Koothambalam and Nalambalam reconstructed.
12th century - Western Gopuram constructed.
14th century - Tantra Samuchaya written by Chennas Narayanan Namboodiri.
14th century - Mentions of Kuruvayur in Tamil literature and Kokasandesam.
1587 -

Narayaneeyam composed.

1637 - Temple records available in Kolezhuthu script.
1638 - The central shrine rebuilt.
1716 - Dutch raided Guruvayur and set fire to the Western Gopuram.
1747 - Western Gopuram rebuilt by Panikkaveettil Ittirayicha Menon, Karyasthan.
1756 - Dutch attacked and desecrated Trikkunavay ( Trikkana Mathilakam) to which Guruvayur was a Keezhedam (Subordinate temple).
1757 - Dutch again attacked Trikkunavay temple and the Devaswom dissolved.
1757 - Zamorin became the supervising trustee with Mallisseri as the co-trustee of Guruvayur.
1766 - Hyder Ali attacked Guruvayur.
1780 - "Devadaya" from Hyder Ali through Madras Governor Shri. Srinivasa Rao.
1789 - Tippu Sultan attacked Guruvayur - Utsavavigraha shifted to Ambalappuzha and Moolavigraha to a safe underground place.
1792 September 17 - Reinstallation of the Moolavigraha after the victory of Zamorins over Tippu with the help of British.
1825 - 1892 - Temple under the supervision of Court.
1836 - Installation of Deepasthambam in front of the gate way.
1841 - Government of Madras restored Devadaya appropriated by Tippu Sultan.
1842 - The Eastern Gopuram rebuilt.
1859 - Central shrine and mandapam covered with copper sheeting. A permanent flagstaff with bell metal covering set up.
1889 Dispute started between trustees . Even temple closed for over a week.
1892 - Chuttambalam, Vilakkumatam, Koothambalam and Sastha Shrine were renovated and roofed with copper sheets
1893 - Compromise was arrived between trustees.
1900 - Big bell was set up and reconstructed the Pathayapura (granary).
1910 - Deepasthambam at Eastern Gopuram installed by Shri Chettur Sankaran Nair.
1916 - A court of wards assumed the management of Zamorin's Estate including Guruvayur temple.
1922 January 4 - Nadayiruthal of elephant "Kesavan".
1927 - Zamorins got back the administrative powers from the Court of Wards.
1930 - A clear administrative scheme was framed by the High court of Madras with the Zamorin once again as the head.
1931 - Guruvayur Satyagraham started.
1932 - Temple remained closed for 12 days without pooja, because of Guruvayur Satyagraham.
1946 - Temple entry for all Hindus.
1952 - January 30- Flagstaff completely enclosed with gold.
1964 - Sree Krishna College started.
1970 - November 30 - Huge fire devastated the Temple.
1971 March 9 - Guruvayur Devaswom Act. Replaced the 1930 Scheme enacted by the Hon'ble High Court of Madras. The Kerala Government takes charge of the temple administration.
1973 - The honor " Gajarajan" awarded to Kesavan on his Shashtiabda poorthi (60th birth day).
1974 October 31 - The temple renovation after fire completed.
1978 March 2 - A regular bill passed in the Kerala Assembly with some modification to the existing Guruvayur Devaswom Act - 1971.

CONTACTS

+91 9526100091
mail@guruvayooronline.com
 

Call Me Now!





 


 

Chat Room

You are here: Temple Temple History Chronicle of Events