Kumaranallur Bhagavathy Temple

User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 

Kumaranallur village is situated nearly 4 kms northwests of Kottayam town. Enjoying the beauty of nature and radiating the glory of ancient civilization, there remains a two storied magnificent temple gate tower. The temple faces to the east. A golden flag staff welcomes the devotees who enter the temple through the east gate. The flag staff was erected in 1089 M.E by the local people. The golden top-dome was offered by the Uthram Thirunal Marthanda Varma, the brother of Swathi Thirunal Maharaj in the year 102 M.E. From the gate tower, at some distance to the north, there is a large temple tank and opposite of thisthere exists the Devaswom palace.

The way, through the main gate, leads to an elephant shed. The idol of ‘Vana Durga' is just at the south-western corner. Like the Panachickal Devi at Vaikom temple, here also the Goddess remains in the open air, popularly known as the ‘Alunkal Devi'.

The shrine is round in shape and the large building around it proclaims of dignity of the temple. The artistic work above the altar is attractive and commendable. the roof is thatched with copper sheets. At the north western part of the alter is situated an idol of Sree Dharma Sastha. On the altar there is an oil lamp in which 24 wicks can be lit. Chempakaseri Rajah, while he was in power used this lamp in front of this family deity at the palace, but after the invasion of his territory by Marthanda Varma, this auspecious lamp was offered to Kumaranallur temple.
Kumaranallur village is situated nearly 4 kms northwests of Kottayam town. Enjoying the beauty of nature and radiating the glory of ancient civilization, there remains a two storied magnificent temple gate tower. The temple faces to the east. A golden flag staff welcomes the devotees who enter the temple through the east gate. The flag staff was erected in 1089 M.E by the local people. The golden top-dome was offered by the Uthram Thirunal Marthanda Varma, the brother of Swathi Thirunal Maharaj in the year 102 M.E. From the gate tower, at some distance to the north, there is a large temple tank and opposite of this there exists the Devaswom palace.

The way, through the main gate, leads to an elephant shed. The idol of ‘Vana Durga' is just at the south-western corner. Like the Panachickal Devi at Vaikom temple, here also the Goddess remains in the open air, popularly known as the ‘Alunkal Devi'.

The shrine is round in shape and the large building around it proclaims of dignity of the temple. The artistic work above the altar is attractive and commendable. the roof is thatched with copper sheets. At the north western part of the alter is situated an idol of Sree Dharma Sastha. On the altar there is an oil lamp in which 24 wicks can be lit. Chempakaseri Rajah, while he was in power used this lamp in front of this family deity at the palace, but after the invasion of his territory by Marthanda Varma, this auspecious lamp was offered to Kumaranallur temple.

 


 
 

CONTACTS

+91 9526100091
mail@guruvayooronline.com
 

Call Me Now!





 


 

Chat Room

You are here: Piligrim Temples in Kerala Kumaranallur Bhagavathy Temple